Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A little lemony love - Cookie #94

While I was recently browsing the internet for cookie inspiration, I came across this fantastic idea of imprinting a sugar cookie with a cookie cutter before baking.  The resulting cookie would have the imprint of the shape of the cutter and give you a nice, neat little template to ice/decorate. 

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw this idea

Normally, I'm pretty good about saving ideas to my favorites, but for some reason I didn't.  Boo.
As one who shares some original ideas via a blog, I understand how important it is to give credit where credit is due.  I spent quite a length of time searching pages upon pages of images on Google, with no luck. 
So, to that fellow blogger, I want to give you credit for the idea - really I do - I just can't remember who you are.  If anyone has seen this idea on another blog, please shoot me an email or commentI'll gladly add the link to the post, ASAP.  :)

Now, onto the idea.  If I remember correctly, the original recipe used a plain sugar cookie.  I decided to jazz things up a bit.  I had some Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix in my pantry that needed to be used.  I also had a lemon in my fridge that was just about beyond it's time - that had to go, too.
Perfect pairing. 
My original idea was to roll the cookie into a log, freeze, then slice into 1/4" rounds before baking.  Instead, I dropped rounded tablespoons full on the cookie sheet and smooshed them with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.  The sugar added some much needed sweetness to the cookie.  I think without it, it would've been a bit too tart.  Both my Trusty Taste Testers loved them as well as my Junior Taste Testers. 
I then pressed a small (1.5"ish) heart cookie cutter into the dough, being careful not to cut all the way through. 
Don't they look all pretty and sugary?


In the spirit of "workin' with what I got," I used some canned (gasp!) frosting I had left over from some cupcakes I baked last week.  Since I didn't have very much, I only outlined the hearts, rather than filling them in.  Please note the missing cookie....one of my Trusty Taste Testers just couldn't wait...

Lemony Sugar Cookies

1 package Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix (prepared as directed on package)
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 cup sugar
Icing for decorating, if desired

Prepare sugar cookie mix as directed on the package, adding in the zest and juice of the lemon.  Drop by rounded tablespoons full onto parchment lined baking sheets.  Dip a glass with a smooth bottom into sugar (wet it first to help the sugar stick the first time) and then flatten the cookie to about 1/4" thick.  Press a small cookie cutter into the surface of teh cookie, being careful not to cut all the way through (though I don't think that would be that big a deal if you did). 
Make as directed.  Mine took about 9 minutes at 350 degrees F. 
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.  Decroate with icing of choice if desired. 

Yumanomanomanom....

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

beautifully done cookies

Anonymous said...

Sudah seru, odds nya menguntungkan lagi!!. itulah permainan sabung ayam online di www.sateayam.net
Dapatkan informasi penting dalam dunia sabung ayam
https://agentaruhanayam.tumblr.com/post/175290764714/sabung-ayam-pilipin-yang-terkenal-kecepatannya